Hanna advocated the use of herbs and foods to heal our bodies or alleviate unwanted symptoms and left a treasure of information to guide us along the way. We’ve compiled some of our favorites for women’s health here. Did you know there’s one herbal combination for women she recommended more than any other? How about what you should drink to alleviate hot flashes, menstrual cramps, or if you’re pregnant? Check out Hanna’s favorite herbs and herbal remedies for women here!
PMS: The emotional and physical challenges that are associated with a woman’s menstrual cycle can mean mood swings, cramping, exhaustion, and irritability to name a few. In understanding the challenges and changes in the body, Hanna’s remedies were centered on reducing the effects of PMS.
- For menstrual cramps: Drink hot ginger tea and take flax oil internally.
- To soothe monthly symptoms and to nourish and comfort the body, Hanna created FML™ (Female) Tea which is a blend of Calendula flowers, Nettle leaves and Yarrow flowers.
- To regulate menstruation and reduce effects of PMS: Black Cohosh, magnesium and Female Balance.
- Women need manganese and having a diet rich in it can alleviate symptoms of PMS when menstruation occurs. Herbs with a high level of manganese are Burdock, Kelp and Yellow Dock; foods rich in manganese are avocado, leafy green vegetables, nuts and seeds, whole grains.
- Hanna encouraged everyone to feed their adrenal glands but especially encouraged women experiencing PMS to do so. How can you? Vitamin B is food for our adrenal glands, the seat of our body’s physical power, and is necessary we have overworked our adrenals (due to high stress situations/being constantly stressed) or when we have exhausted them through caffeine intake.Anti-Fatigue™ is Hanna’s unique formula designed to nourish your hard working adrenals.
Menopause: It is not surprising that several of the herbs recommended for PMS are also Hanna’s picks for menopause as they are supporting the female system at any stage but there are some specific to the challenges menopause can present.
- For hot flashes: Put 1 tablespoon sage in a cup of hot water and infuse for 20 minutes; drink 1 cup per day. Eat oats and increase cinnamon intake.
- Yam contains substances similar to progesterone and is useful for menopausal complaints.
- To increase energy and natural estrogen: Eat sage on buttered rye bread and drink alfalfa tea.
- During menopause, alternate days between the four following teas: peppermint, alfalfa, chamomile and red clover.
- Learn more about menopause
Pregnant? Hanna recommended beginning your day by drinking coconut water to nourish the fetus and to bring clear urine. If stretch marks from pregnancy are a concern to you (or if you presently have stretch marks), Hanna recommended topical application of Emu Oil. For morning sickness, Hanna’s most loved and most effective remedy was to make peach leaf tea (combine 1 teaspoon dried peach leaves in a cup of hot water and allow to steep for two minutes before drinking).
One of Hanna’s favorite home remedies among females is her Home Remedy for Yeast Infections
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- Mix these ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a gentle boil. Allow to cool then strain the solids and add the entire liquid mixture to a warm bath. Soak for 15-20 minutes
Hanna created several celebrated herbal formulas in her lifetime and some remain our best sellers today. One of her most frequently recommended herbal combinations, past and present, is Women’s Gold®. This blend of herbs (Licorice Root, Yarrow, Comfrey Root, Yellow Dock, Dandelion Root) has been celebrated for decades and is considered food for the female reproductive system because of the support it offers. Licorice Root provides support to the adrenals and helps to balance female hormones while relaxing the tissues of the body. Comfrey Root has been used for over 2000 years and is considered by many to be one of nature’s greatest medicinal herbs as it speeds and promotes healing by nourishing tissues. Yellow Dock is a common weed with several healing benefits including expelling toxins from the body, increasing urine production and reducing water retention. Dandelion Root promotes liver health, purifies the blood and supports hormonal balance for women. Hanna chose these four herbs and blended them together in order to create a formula that supports women’s reproductive system health and to ‘feed’ that system.
Want to learn more about how to support your system? Check out our Women’s Health Section!<< read less