Because of our wide selection of dried herbs and their many uses, I’ve been on a bit of a DIY kick lately. Through several posts we’ve given instructions for herbal salves, lip balm, bath salts, and even homemade tinctures or oils but usually with not much information on what specific herbs are able to do for you. Here is a good list of popular ingredients in DIY herbal projects and the remedies they offer. Keep in mind this is a short list of herbs available for such projects so explore our bulk section to find additional herbs you may want to include.
- Burdock Root: For skin infections, psoriasis, and eczema.
- Calendula Flowers: Useful for a variety of skin ailments including inflammation, insect bites, rashes, wounds, abrasions, and many others. Suitable for babies and sensitive skin.
- Cayenne Pepper: Alleviates pain and itching, creates a warming effect where applied, and is helpful for sore muscles and arthritis.
- Chamomile flowers: For minor cuts, scrapes, and hemorrhoids.
- Comfrey leaf or Comfrey root: Speeds healing in a variety of conditions like arthritis, wounds, bruises, sprains, eczema, dermatitis, viral skin infections, and broken bones. Comfrey promotes the growth of muscle, cartilage, and bone.
- Echinacea herb or Echinacea root: Antibacterial, relieves insect bites and stings, help to heal sores.
- Goldenseal root: Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, useful in skin conditions.
- Lavender flowers: Benefits the healing of wounds and numerous skin conditions, soothes, calms, and relieves general pain as well as hemorrhoid pain.
- Myrrh: Topical antiseptic for wounds and hemorrhoids.
- Nettle leaf: Anti-inflammatory, effective treatment for many skin conditions.
- Plantain leaf: Antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antitoxic, and antimicrobial properties. Speeds recovery, prevents infection, relieves and soothes bites and stings, pain, poison ivy, rashes, damaged skin, sores, blisters, bruises, rashes, and itching.
- St. John’s Wort: Provides relief from shingles.
- Thyme: A strong antiseptic for cuts, scrapes, and sore muscles.
- Yarrow Flowers: Reduces swelling and bleeding for brusies, sprains, wounds, cuts, scrapes, rashes, and eczema.
There are so many wonderful herbs to utilize in personal care products that you create yourself and each herb in our bulk selection includes a description and ways you can benefit internally and externally from its use. Avoiding the hidden ingredients and harmful toxins of modern cosmetics and instead creating a unique item that’s fragrant, healing, and all-natural is the best sort of DIY beauty project I can think of. But the ingredient list doesn’t have to stop with herbs! Essential oils can also be used in these sorts of projects just be sure you’re using pure oils that are safe for your skin.<< read less